Job Search Resources
Access tools, resources, and job boards for your advanced degree job search.
Workshops & Panels
PhD Job Search in Government, Industry, and Nonprofit Workshop
Learn about a variety of job search skills and techniques within industry, nonprofit, and government sectors, including how to conduct a skills-based search, facilitate employer connections, and target positions for optimal results.
Part I: Targeting
Part II: Planning
Part III: Executing
Part IV: Tailoring
Job Search Organization Spreadsheet
Academic Job Search Workshop
Learn about the different types of academic institutions, ways to approach an academic job search, selecting institution types based on your skills and interests, assessing what the institution is looking for, and how to tailor your application package.
Part I: Types of Institutions
Part II: Identifying Fit
Part III: Applying
Part IV: Managing the Search
Academic Job Search Panel
Learn how to navigate the job search at research, teaching, and private institutions from an Associate Dean, Associate Professor, and Associate Provost.
Part I: Research, Service, and Teaching Expectations
Part III: Identifying Institutional Expectations
Part III: Most Important Document
Part IV: Advice for Applicants
How to Find and Succeed in Your STEM Postdoc
Are you considering whether a postdoc is the right path for you or are unsure of how to find and apply for postdocs? In this virtual workshop, you will learn what a postdoc entails and how to evaluate whether it is a good fit based on your career interests and the factors to consider when you pick a postdoc. You will also learn how to find postdocs through job boards or through networking with faculty advisors, as well as how to apply and what the interview process entails. Finally, you will identify how to set yourself up for success in your future postdoc.
Job Search for International Graduate Students Workshop
Designed to help international graduate students prepare and create a job search strategy for finding and applying for positions in the U.S. job market.
Part I: Hiring Process in the U.S.
Part II: Researching
Part III: Networking
Part IV: Communication
Part V: Employment Authorization Information
Imagine PhD – Online career exploration and planning tool designed specifically for PhD students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences. Job boards are embedded in the APPLY section of each job family.
Versatile PhD – Online resource designed to help humanities, social science, and STEM PhDs identify, prepare for, and succeed in non-academic careers. Includes a general job board and “smartjobs” boards.
Job and Internship Boards
- HireUTexas – The University of Texas at Austin’s campus-wide job and internship database.
- Indeed – Worldwide employment-related search engine for job listings.
- ImaginePhD – Job boards designed specifically for Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences.
- Versatile PhD – Job board for humanities, social science, and STEM PhDs.
- USA Jobs – U.S. government website for listing civil service job opportunities with federal agencies.
- Texas Workforce Commission – Opportunities for jobs with Texas state agencies or universities.
- City of Austin – City of Austin job board for employment opportunities.
- Travis County – Travis county job board for employment opportunities.
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) – Job board for DOE, for positions that aim to advance national economic, energy, and security goals through scientific and technological innovation.
- U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) – Civilian employment job board with opportunities spanning from ship building, to aircraft maintenance, to researching microorganisms and expanding missions in space.
- Idealist – Platform to assist people in finding jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities within nonprofit organizations.
- The Bridgespan Group – Job board focused on non-profit positions.
- Philanthropy News Digest – Daily news service of philanthropy-related articles featuring a job board with listings of current full-time job openings at tax-exempt organizations.
- Work for Good – Job board focused exclusively on mission-driven careers.
- Chronicle of Higher Education – Newspaper and website that presents news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty and student affairs professionals.
- Higher Ed 360 – Comprehensive collection of resources, including a job board, specifically for higher education professionals.
- HigherEdJobs – Job board for faculty and administrative positions at colleges and universities.
- Inside Higher Ed – Online source for higher education news, thought leadership, careers, and resources.
- University Jobs – University and college job board for faculty and staff positions in the United States and abroad.
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium – Job board for positions within higher education and related fields.
- National Postdoc Association – Job board for postdoctoral positions.
- Postdoc Jobs – Job board for postdoctoral positions.
- Find a Postdoc – Directory of postdoctoral and PhD jobs.
- AAAS Science Careers – Job board specific for science and technology positions.
- BioSpace – Job board specific for life science careers.
- Nature Careers – Job board for science careers in the United States and abroad.
- Dice – Database of insights and career opportunities for technology professionals.
- Tech Careers – Job board specific for computer science and engineering positions.
- iCrunchData – Job board for technology, analytics, and data-related jobs and professional advancement worldwide.
- Built in Austin – Hub for startups in Austin, including a job board for open technical positions.