STEM PhD Internships
UT PhDs in physical and life sciences, engineering and math can pursue a variety of internships at UT Austin to gain experience in business communication, intellectual property, administration, student affairs and program management. See below for PhD level internships at UT.
Discovery to Impact Graduate Internship Program
Job description & Qualifications
Intellectual-property graduate internship available at UT Austin Discovery to Impact
Business Development and Technology Analyst
10 hours per week | $21+ per hour, depending on experience
The Business Development and Technology Analyst helps the UT Austin Discovery to Impact team research and communicate about new technologies across the life sciences, physical sciences, or computer sciences. Project based work includes prior-art searches to help inform IP strategy, market research to help identify commercial partners, and helping to write compelling summaries of technologies for marketing purposes. Analysts work together with our team in reaching out to companies, to help bring UT technologies to market. A lot of time is spent creating slide decks, one-page summaries, finding prospects that would make good development partners, and communicating to them how the UT technology solves a problem for them.
This can be an opportunity to expand your network, and to become familiar with a communication style that is different than what is typical in an academic setting. Some of our former Analysts have taken positions in industry or tech transfer, and some to choose to go back to research, or start their own companies. We train Analysts in all aspects of what we do and encourage direct involvement with companies and professors.
- Strong communication skills in writing and a keen interest in learning how to communicate to different audiences
- 9-12 month commitment, and ability to work for 10+ hours per week
- Written approval of your research adviser
Benefits of the Internship
- Gain direct experience in tech transfer, intellectual property, business development, and working with start-ups. Valuable experience for researchers interested in developing their own technologies, working in consulting, entrepreneurship and biotechnology or tech industries.
- Earn $21 per hour
- Mentorship: Analysts work closely with the team at Discovery to Impact and engage in professional development seminars and coaching sessions with Texas Career Engagement’s Advanced Degree Career & Professional Development team.
- Network: Meet and work directly with companies and professors to help bring their technologies to market
- Flexible, 100% remote work hours and projects
Application Process & Submission
Fill out the application form in full, including a 1-2 page cv or resume and answer a few short questions in the form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications are due at 11:59pm on April 14th
Finalists will be invited to interview with the Discovery to Impact team, with final selections made by early May. Interns should be ready and available to start working in early June.