Protect Texas. Stay Informed.Covid-19 Updates
International Graduate Students
Discover resources, programming, and career education content specifically designed for international graduate students. Connect with employment opportunities and the international graduate student career community.
Leverage Your International Experience
As an international professional, your experience is uniquely valuable. For example, for organizations that are looking to expand, you can connect them with new markets. If you have experience working on multicultural research projects in different countries, you will be able to manage and collaborate with diverse teams as an international researcher. Ask yourself, how has my international professional identity made me a stronger and more competitive candidate? Articulating these strengths in your job documents and professional interactions such as networking events, employer info sessions, or after seminars with fellow graduate students.
Importance of Pre-Planning
Planning is essential for your professional and academic success. The Graduate Career and Professional Development team is here to support you in this effort. Early preparation, career research, familiarizing yourself with work authorization regulations, and recognizing your strengths as an international professional will set you up to successfully enter the global job market.
Career platform designed to address the professional and career development needs of international graduate students. This comprehensive and interactive career tool provides access to career resources, webinars, visa insight database, networking opportunities, and self-assessments that can help you build a career plan to achieve your career goals.
Employment Options for F-1
Employment Options for J-1
Employment options for J-1 graduate students and postdoctoral scholars:
Additional Immigration and Employment Authorization Resources
On the Texas Global Stay Informed page, you can find up-to-date information on immigration regulations and status requirements as it pertains to international grad students here at UT.
Find and Foster Community
Community is integral for professional and academic success, especially because international graduate students and postdoctoral scholars live and work all over the world. Use the following resources to connect with your international colleagues, industry professionals, and scholars.
UT Graduate Communities
Connect and foster your sense of community so that you can have the support of fellow graduate students and industry advocates as you are going through the various stages of career and professional development.
- Interstride – Use the Networking feature to connect with international graduate students, staff, and faculty from across the UT campus
- Hornslink – Find organizations around various identities
- Graduate Student Assembly – Advocates and hosts events for international graduate students
- Regional and culturally focused student organizations
- UT International Students – Facebook Group created to connect international students from UT Austin
Online Networking and Job Search Tools
Think about reaching out to an international graduate UT Austin alumni and asking them to share their story. What can you learn from them? What questions can you ask and insight you can gain that would help you better position yourself on the job market or to enter the industry of choice.
- LinkedIn – Find and Connect with International graduate students who are now working in the US and abroad in industry and academia.
- HookedIn: Use UT’s Alumni Platform to find and connect with International UT Alumni!
- Aurora: Resources made specifically to address the needs of international graduate students on both industry and academic job markets.