Internship Fund

When applying for internships there are many things you might consider, including your income needs. Texas Career Engagement created the Internship Fund to help reduce the financial barriers to internship participation. Through financial support, we aim to increase access to experiential learning opportunities, like internships, for all UT Austin undergraduate students.

Learn more about available funds and how to apply.

Eligibility

To be considered for the TCE Internship Fund, you must:

  1. be a currently enrolled UT Austin degree-seeking undergraduate with an internship taking place prior to your graduation date;
  2. have completed at least one long semester of coursework;
  3. have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) with the UT Austin Scholarship and Financial Aid Office; and
  4. not have received any scholarships/grants from any UT Austin college, school, or department for the same internship.

Internship Requirements

To apply, you must have received and accepted an offer letter for an internship that meets the criteria below.

  • Job Duties & Responsibilities: Positions must involve meaningful job duties and projects that allow you to apply academic knowledge to professional work environments. Experiences should relate to your career interests or academic major. Positions are evaluated using the NACE Seven Criteria for Internships.
  • Pay & Location: The Internship Fund is available for unpaid and paid internships. Positions can take place in-person, virtually/remote, or as a hybrid.
  • Hours & Weeks Requirement: Internships must be a minimum of 9-weeks in length and take place during the whole summer session.

Non-Eligible Experiences: Any internship that is associated with programs involving student participation fees or internship placements will not be approved.

Available Internship Funds

The Internship Fund provides tier-leveled funding based on internship details as outlined below.

Tier 1 ($1,200)

  • Unpaid internship
  • 9-week minimum
  • 10-12 hours per week (90-108 total hours)

Tier 2 ($1,500)

  • Unpaid internship
  • 9-week minimum
  • 13-15 hours per week (117-135 total hours)

Tier 3 ($2,000)

  • Unpaid internship
  • 9-week minimum
  • 16+ hours per week (144+ total hours)

Housing & Transportation Funds

In addition to the tiers above, the Internship Fund can support travel and living expenses associated with internship participation. Funding amounts will vary depending on need.

Students participating in a paid internship, and who are not eligible for Tiers 1-3, may be eligible for partial support of housing and transportation-specific expenses. In these cases, students must intern for a minimum of 9 weeks for a minimum of 15 hours per week during the whole summer session.

Application Process

Once the internship has been secured and the offer letter has been received, students can apply for the TCE Internship Fund by completing the online application. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the final submission deadline of June 3, 2021.

All applicants will receive a decision letter via email regarding the status of their application.

The Internship Fund is a need-based scholarship. In this pilot year (summer 2021), all students who meet the student criteria and whose internships meet the experience criteria are eligible to receive the funds. In future years, priority will be given to students with the greatest financial need as determined by the student’s FAFSA/TAFSA record with the Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid.

Terms and Conditions

Course Enrollment: Recipients who are not seeking academic credit for their internship are required to enroll in the free, self-guided EXP 000: Internships and Career Experiences (0-Credit) course during the summer session.

Scholarships & Financial Aid: The Internship Fund does not impact your current scholarship or financial aid package if:

  1. EXP 000 is only course you register for in the summer session;
  2. You complete the entire length of your internship as stated in your offer letter; and
  3. You do not withdraw or drop EXP 000 from your schedule.

Recipients who enroll in credit-bearing courses during the summer session may have their existing or future scholarship or financial aid packages affected. Visit Texas One Stop to learn more.

Funding Disbursement: 80% of the funds will be distributed during the first week of the summer session. The remaining 20% of funds will be distributed during the last week of the summer session after students submit a final site evaluation.

 

Access virtual help—anytime, anywhere

Find online career resources to help you in all stages of your career journey, from assessing majors or careers of interest, to preparing for interviews, to finding jobs and professional contacts.

Explore Career Tools