Career Peer Mentorship
Texas Career Engagement offers multiple ways for undergraduate students to have career conversations directly with peers. We offer a unique career peer program—the Longhorn Career Peer Mentor Program—to support UT students as they explore and navigate their unique career development journeys. Below, you will find overviews of each program, services provided and how you can get involved.
Longhorn Career Peers
Longhorn Career Peers (LCPs) are trained and supervised paraprofessionals who provide career assistance to other undergraduate students through Texas Career Engagement. Responsibilities of LCPs include critiquing resumes, conducting practice interviews, assisting peers with job search strategies, promoting Texas Career Engagement through tabling and presentations, as well as serving as a peer mentor in the Longhorn Career Peer Mentoring Program. Hiring for LCPs takes place each spring and recruitment for mentees occur at the end of each semester.
Get career support from trained UT students Monday- Friday in FAC 2.236; no appointment needed! Longhorn Career Peers are available every week day from 12-4 p.m. for 10-15 minute meetings about:
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- Job & Internship Search Skills
- Networking Tips
- Career Fair Prep
- Interview Strategies
- Internal Transfer Resume Feedback, and more!
Drop-in hours will take place from 8/28/2023 – 12/4/2023 for the Fall 2023 semester.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. CST
Location: Texas Career Engagement, FAC 2.236
Longhorn Career Peer Interview Strategies
Learn about the behavioral interview process, and practice strategies for crafting compelling interview answers. Interview Strategy sessions last 30 minutes and can be schedule via Handshake.
- One-on-one in-person interview session
- Immediate feedback and evaluation
Applications will be posted on Handshake during Spring semester of 2024.
- Kyra Duffey
Longhorn Career Peer Program Director/Career Counselor
Longhorn Career Peer Mentor Program
The Longhorn Career Peer Mentor Program is a 12-week career and professional development program is tailored for first-and second-year students at UT. We highly encourage students from underrepresented and marginalized identities to apply. Applications open at the end of each semester.
Each mentee is matched with a Longhorn Career Peer Mentor for weekly meetings on a range of career topics. At the end of the program, each mentee will have crafted a professional resume and cover letter, developed a personal pitch, completed a practice interview, and become proficient in strategically navigating HookedIn and HireUTexas. Mentees also participate in seven group sessions to discuss and learn about diversity, equity and inclusion topics tied to career development with all members of the program cohort.
The goal of the program is to empower each mentee to accomplish their individual career goals while building a strong connection, community and sense of belonging on the Forty Acres.
You will leave with:
- A professional resume and cover letter
- Behavioral interviewing skills, having completed a practice interview
- A personal pitch
- New or enhanced profiles on HireUTexas, LinkedIn and HookedIn
- Information on how to use online resources/tools to search for internships/jobs
Eligibility and Expectations
- Be enrolled as a first-year or sophomore class level undergraduate student for the semester of participation
- Have availability to attend all group sessions on Wednesdays from 4-5 p.m.
- Have a strong interest in exploring career opportunities and career education topics
- Have a strong interest in building career portfolios
- Have a strong interest in relationship development and community building
- Have demonstrated initiative, follow-through, punctuality and professional demeanor
- Meet each week with an Longhorn Career Peer Mentor
- Attend seven group sessions
- Time commitment: one-two hours per week for 12 weeks
Applications open in November 2023.
- Allie Robbins
Longhorn Career Peer Program Director/Career Education Specialist